Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Traditions

Not only does my family have Christmas traditions for the holiday season, but we also have New Years traditions. I was not able to kiss my loved ones at midnight due to my two favorite men falling asleep earlier in the night. (Joseph made it till about eleven, but Jonah had only had a nap of about thirty minutes. He crashed at 8:30.) I'm pretty sure my love with them will continue through this next year. My parents and sister came down about one o'clock today and brought a combination of greens with them. I had some purple hull peas in my freezer that we substituted for the black eyed peas. I also had some ham frozen in the freezer that one of Dean Partnerships business suppliers had given us. With the help of my mom, we had our traditional New Years food. For those of you not from the South or Southners who don't have deep family roots, this is a traditional Southern New Years meal. The black eye peas are to bring good luck (supposedly each one eaten equals one day of good luck.) The greens that are eaten bring wealth. The pork that is eaten brings forward prosperity. I remember my first year in Utah I had to go back on New Year's Eve. I went out the next day and bought these foods and made all of my friends and roommates eat them so we would all have good luck, wealth, and prosperity. Whatever you ate today I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed mine and that your food brings you everything you need.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for a new year! Hope this year brings you as much happiness as the last. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I think I at meatloaf! I hope I still have good luck!! (Also, we didn't kiss at midnight, in fact I think we were both down by 9) lol

    ReplyDelete