Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Nothing is Safe!!

About the middle of May, Jonah started crawling. He had been able to get up on his hands and knees and rock back and forth for about a week and a half before that. Now nothing in the house is safe. We are not totally baby proof (I don't know what to do with things like the cable box.) I can no longer pause the television while I go stir dinner or switch over the laundry because when I come back it is unpaused. When I pat the hand and say "no-no" I get my hand patted and a big smile. However, when I want him to crawl (I try to make him get exercise my crawling up the hallway after our diaper changes) he puts his head down and cries huge tears. Crawling was not enough for our little man. He said that it was for the "birds." Just a couple of days after he started crawling, he was trying to pull up on everything, especially the coffee table. Needless to say, he has had several bruises on his forehead from where he knocks it. This morning he whacked it pretty hard. I was sitting right there trying to keep him safe and was unsuccessful. He has a big bruise in his hairline. I tried to ice it because it started to turn a little purple and swell a little bit, but he didn't like the cold. After that it was time for our morning nap. It wasn't even 8 (we were up at quarter to six with our daddy) so I decided to go work in my garden for an hour or so while he napped. I took the monitor outside with me and turned the volume all the way up. I worked for a little over an hour then went in to check on Jonah. He was still sleeping though he was facing the opposite direction from what I had laid him down. I accidently hit his toy box with my foot, and he jumped but did not seem to wake up. I decided to take a quick shower to clean up. As I was turning off the shower about fifteen - twenty mins later, I hear him screaming, crying. I hurried and dried off. I went to open my bedroom door, so I could talk to him while I got dressed. HOWEVER, when I opened my door Jonah was crawling up the hallway looking for me. He was crying but settled as soon as I picked him up. Nothing in our house is safe, even our baby. Thank goodness he is resilient and make to take a few bumps and bruises. I guess it is time to lower the mattress in his crib.

2 comments:

  1. I WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness im so glad you posted this Ryker has been doing the same thing he hits his head at least 3 times a day he always has a bruise somewhere it makes me feel so bad but i guess thats whats going to happen I feel better knowing its not just me.....Hope all is well. Need to see somes pics!

    ReplyDelete